Hello Fabio,

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 1:03 AM Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 12:10 AM Alexander Ploumistos
> <alex.ploumis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Upstream has just released a bugfix update for Molsketch and it's the
> > kind of update that can't wait for the next fedora release. Among the
> > other fixes, the new version has dropped support for Qt4 and with it,
> > the -qt5 suffixes of several files.
> > While testing it, I realized that after the update, a line in
> > ~/.config/SourceForge/Molsketch.conf has to change from
> > obabel-iface-path=/usr/lib64/molsketch/libobabeliface-qt5.so
> > obabel-iface-path=/usr/lib64/molsketch/libobabeliface.so
> > (on a x86_64 system) otherwise features from OpenBabel are not
> > available to the program.
> >
> > Is there something I can do to sed out the -qt5 suffix, or should I
> > just bite the bullet, build the update and wait for the bug reports to
> > come in?
>
> I don't think that packagers should *ever* be in the business of
> modifying the content of users' $HOME directories.

Agreed.

> Usually, I'd say that a major change like from Qt4 to Qt5 would
> warrant only shipping this with the next Fedora version (and
> mentioning the change in the Fedora Release Notes, maybe), but if you
> don't want to wait for that, the best I think you can do is to make it
> very clear in the update notes in bodhi that this update might break
> things without manually editing that config file.

Actually, in Fedora we've always had Molsketch built with Qt5, it's
just that upstream decided to stop supporting Qt4 and that's why the
suffixes were dropped.
I think that the bugs that were fixed in this release far outweigh the
(temporary) loss of functionality; imagine having spent hours working
on a document, only to discover that the saved file contains mostly
gibberish.

I'll add a note on the update page and hope for the best.

Thank you for the input,
Alex