On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 10:27 PM Ian Pilcher <arequip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/9/21 1:39 PM, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> > Well, the first option is still a no-no, as the fixup has to happen in
> > the user's home directory. For the second one, I think I'd need to add
> > something like "Requires: zenity", which in turn would pull in other
> > dependencies.
>
> I don't believe that it's forbidden by Fedora's policy, as it would be
> the wrapper making the changes, which is effectively no different from
> the program itself doing it, if it had that capability.  The real
> problem with this approach is the potential to mess up the user's
> configuration if the wrapper encounters something that it doesn't
> expect, which is why a warning message approach is probably better.

I saw that a number of our packages do use wrappers that way, but this
feels like cheating ;)
Plus, the concerns behind the policy and those you've just expressed
remain valid.

> You could probably do something very lightweight with the desktop
> notification service, but it isn't an area that I know a lot about.

Do all of the DEs we have in Fedora support the same notification mechanisms?

> > After discussing with upstream, I am going to add a symlink for now
> > and they're going to take care of things programmatically in a
> > subsequent update.
>
> Where are you going to add the symlink?

I added
ln -sf %{_libdir}/%{name}/libobabeliface.so
%{buildroot}%{_libdir}/%{name}/libobabeliface-qt5.so
to the %install section of my spec file