Once upon a time, Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> said:
> My main problem is that for a good portion of the 1990's the GNU operating
> system was HURD and any and all work on Linux was seen as a major
> distraction and removal of resources from the more important operating
> system. In the early 1990's, I don't remember the GNU hackers at the AI lab
> calling their systems GNU/Solaris or GNU/Ultrix or GNU/BSD when they had
> replaced various parts with GNU utilities. The only GNU OS was going to be
> HURD.

Also, a new community developed around systems running the Linux kernel,
and that community made significant contributions to GNU projects.
AFAIK at the time, nobody else was really trying to run a whole system
on things like glibc and coreutils (which was separate packages at the
time IIRC).  A lot of functionality in those projects exists because the
Linux community got it done.

So to me, claiming that the resulting system must be GNU/Linux is
ignoring that a lot of GNU stuff would not be where it is today without
the Linux community - should glibc be called Linux/GNU libc?  I don't
believe so, just like I don't believe an OS assembled from Linux, GNU,
and many other bits should be called GNU/Linux.

Also, Linux is more than just a kernel - there are a number of userland
bits that are Linux specific (often because GNU didn't have them and the
various BSDs' equivalents wouldn't fit the Linux way).  For example,
iproute and net-tools come to mind.

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>