one of the more important trusts
 we place in the parties in question is to protect the privacy of tens
 of thousands of *other* people's private conversations.

Sure. As do we all. Mostly. Kind of.  Ok, hopefully.

Again, to _my_ read, _I_ see absolutely nothing in either side's recent
behavior that builds _my_ trust.
And sufficient cause for it to be called into some question. By _me_.

If privacy of _credentials_ are in question, again, there's nothing but
assumptions here.
Unless/until _I_ see provable behavior, contractual accountability, and
auditable infrastructure, _I_ remain ... diligent.

If privacy of _discussions_ are in question, then #IRC isn't the right platform
to start with.  At all.
And arguing about who's more trustworthy in managing privacy in an infra with
the general leak-proofing of a pasta colander, is simply circular-debate about
the color of the lipstick on the pig.

Paraphrasing the old adage -- takes a lifetime to build a rep, 5 seconds to
lose one.

BOTH sides have lost trust & rep.

In the end, I'm not convinced it was worth the "pantscon 1" (chuckle)
hullabaloo, and wait to see if more harm than good comes of it.
So thought I'd add/share a doc or 2 to read.

/me is really shutting up now.  About this, anyway.