On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 8:43 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Ah.  May or may not.  That gives me hope at least.
>
> Well, considering that we have hundreds of existing contributors, who all
> may or may not be willing to adapt to a platform that is clearly not
> designed for them (Discourse is very strongly newbie-centric, see the
> "achievements" and all the other hand-holding), I think it is safe to assume
> that several important contributors WILL leave, tone down their
> participation, and/or miss some important communication (leading to breakage
> in the distribution, e.g., broken dependencies making it into Rawhide) if
> Fedora makes the switch.
>
> > I don't think it's a double standard.  I think people that already
> > know how Fedora development and contribution works are inherently in a
> > better position to adapt to something new, whereas net-new
> > contributors are unlikely to even start based on an email driven
> > practice.
>
> And as I already answered, I think this is completely backwards. If you want
> to newly join a project, you learn their way to do things and adapt to it.
> If, on the other hand, you are already involved in a project and have
> workflows that work for you, any forced change to something perceived as a
> regression will annoy you and make you want to leave.

I think you and I fundamentally disagree on this and that's OK.  I'm
not trying to convince you.  I was trying to understand your stance on
why you'd potentially leave and express the reasons why I think it's
worth it.

We'll have to end our conversation here, because we've both stated
clearly where we stand and I respect that you and I are simply not
aligned.  Thank you for your thoughts.

josh