On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 07:01:15 -0400
Stephen Smoogen <ssmoo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I am NOT a proponent of this proposal. I don't want to go to
> Discourse. Web interfaces like that cause me cognitive pain and
> grumpiness to use longer than a few minutes. As such I know my
> involvement with Fedora will go down further.
>
> If it comes across that I am for this change, it is because I am
> tired and frustrated. The mailman system has been running on inertia
> since at least February 2018, when the last software updates to the
> mailman software were done. Over the last 5 years, the system has
> mostly run, but in the last year has increasingly had longer and
> longer outages. My tiredness comes from spending most of my
> Thanksgiving and Winter breaks trying to find reasons and then doing
> whatever cave-man hacks I could to fix it without breaking mail
> altogether. My frustration and anger comes from the fact that I spent
> most of the last 5 years assuming that it was somebody else's problem
> and they would take care of it so I could focus on keeping other
> things running.

I know almost nothing about mail list infrastructure.

Are there other open source linux distributions using the latest
mailman?  Could their process be copied and put in as a drop in
replacement for fedora with a little tweaking?  How do they deal with
the spam problem?  I'm not asking you to do it, but you appear to be a
domain expert, so you can probably answer these questions off the top
of your head.

Some more questions.  What language is mailman written in?  What are
the major incompatibilities of the new version with the older version?
Are there more modern alternatives that are easier to set up and
maintain?

Crazy ideas.

Would it cost less resources to set up a private usenet server for
messages than to continue maintaining the mailman application?  Is
it even possible?  Could it be outsourced to one of the big usenet
providers? I doubt it would be even a dent in their capacity since they
maintain 10 years of binary usenet posts.  Could such a usenet
server be kept in sync with Discourse, and allow posts to the server to
be propagated to Discourse?  I'm thinking of some kind of automated web
application that takes each post on the usenet server and logs in to
Discourse and posts it to the appropriate place.  A user would
configure it with their credentials once, and forget it.  Sort of the
way youtube-downloader works, except opposite.  In the other direction,
there would be a web scraper that regularly scrapes posts on fedora
discourse and reposts them to the usenet server.  Again, the user
enters their credentials once, and done.

Ignore this if it seems too woo woo or irrelevant or resource intense.