On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 8:53 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 6 2023 at 11:08:15 PM +0200, Björn Persson
> <bj...@xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> > As a non-user of Gnome 3 who normally never runs any Gnome 3 settings
> > programs, I get the impression that Fedora 40 will begin accumulating
> > unused metrics somewhere in the filesystem. To prevent a constantly
> > growing waste of storage space, I'll have to run one of two Gnome 3
> > settings programs – which may or may not require starting a Gnome 3
> > desktop session – and find the right switch to either turn on
> > uploading
> > or turn off collection. I'll have to remember to do that after
> > upgrading around a year from now, and also on any new installations in
> > the distant future.
> >
> > If my impression is wrong, then the change proposal needs to be
> > amended.
>
> Well this change proposal is for Fedora Workstation specifically.
> That's in the title. :) I would envision installing
> eos-event-recorder-daemon via a Recommends: from the
> gnome-control-center and gnome-initial-setup packages (and probably
> also by adding it to the workstation-product comps group), so if you
> don't have gnome-initial-setup or gnome-control-center installed, you
> wouldn't get in on upgrade. I'm not sure whether I want to amend this
> level of detail into the change proposal in case we might want to
> change the specifics of how it gets installed, but that's just to give
> you an idea of what I'm thinking currently. Certainly the metrics
> components should not be installed for non-GNOME users as part of this
> change proposal.
>
> However, I've heard that Fedora KDE might also be interested in adding
> metrics once we have this working in Workstation. But that would be up
> to the people contributing to Fedora KDE and would need to be proposed
> separately.

I'm interested from the Fedora KDE side, but I don't want to implement
it until we have our own equivalent of GNOME Initial Setup working
that would let us present all the knobs on first boot. Without that,
it feels pretty sketchy to me.

I also don't have a good handle on what this thing records, and what
metrics I would *want* to enable for it to record. I would also be
generally interested in what this can do from a holistic Fedora point
of view and how accessible the data will be to the project.

Since Workstation presents the configuration knob for this at first
boot with GNOME Initial Setup, I feel that is a good place to ensure
people get an informed (non)consent of metrics gathering so they can
make a decision of whether to leave it enabled.

> I think eos-event-recorder-daemon uses some sort of ring buffer to
> eventually discard old events, so that storage space does not increase
> forever and should not become an issue? But please don't quote me on
> this; I have a lot of comments to respond to, and I'm not super
> familiar with the code, and I don't want to dive in to look at how it
> works right now. If there's really an issue with space growing without
> bound, then that's a bug we should fix, but I don't think it's so.
>
> (BTW, the GNOME 3 era concluded with the release of GNOME 40 in Fedora
> 34, so I wouldn't except Fedora users to still be using GNOME 3. :)

From my perspective, it's still the GNOME 3 era, as there hasn't been
a significant redesign of the UX to warrant distinguishing it.