On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> So, some Red Hat folks have developed an idea called Software Collections
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Software_Collections_Guide/index.html
> which is aimed at this problem -- it lets you install and choose between
> different versions of RPM-packaged software in parallel at run-time.

Given the short shelf-life of a Fedora release and the complication
involved in Software Collections, I'm still not convinced that we
really need this in Fedora.  Can you give me a concrete case where
Fedora really needs to be running two different versions of the same
software, in a production environment?  Given it's longer shelf life
and different target audience, RHEL is a better candidate -- and the
record, the company I work for uses Software Collections that way.
I'm just having a hard time justifying it in my mind for Fedora.

--
Jared Smith