On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 16:10 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:06:38PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > 1) Fedora is big enough that we have concrete situations where one size
> > >    doesn't fit all. Puppet being broken on F17 (and probably F18 as well)
> > >    is a fine example of something within the distro itself. And, as a
> > >    platform for development, offering more version choices to our users
> > >    would be a strength.
> > <heretical>
> > Well, then maybe Fedora's too big, and we should move to a model where
> > Fedora is much smaller, and the grand Fedora universe contains things that
> > are packaged *for* one or multiple Fedoras.
> > </heretical>
>
> I have a cautious leaning in favor of this heresy. (*Looks around for angry
> villagers with torches*.) It seems like (eventually) the Software
> Collections mechanism might provide part of the infrastructure for doing
> that cleanly.

Isn't the risk that things will get more broken in collections, due to
dependencies not being anymore strictly checked in a single repository
and general disconnection between the 'main' repo and the specific
collection ?

Imo the concept of collection can only work against a relatively stable
core, a fast changing core calls for often broken packages.

Unless you want to start keeping around multiple versions of a package
so that collections can have strong dependencies on specific package
versions in the core. By keeping multiple versions of a package in the
repo you allow collections to always be installable even if they are
built against not the very latest package version and the core has since
moved on. As soon as the collection is rebuilt against the newer version
then dps will be resolved and all the packages will update.

The only drawback is that a collection may end up blocking upgrades for
security issues, not sure how to handle that, but if you do not have a
stable core you either have a single gigantic repo so all dependencies
can be verified or you accept multiple rpms in the repo and the fact
some deps my hold back security updates.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York