On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/03/2014 08:51 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>> On 03/03/2014 03:43 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> So if you were asking me "Are we removing btrfs from the install
>>> options completely?", the answer is a resounding "NO". However,
>>> if you're asking "Are we removing btrfs from the drop-down of
>>> simple-install layouts?", my personal recommendation is "yes".
>>
>> I disagree - why would we remove the drop down option?
>>
>> That would make it exceedingly hard and rare for casual users to
>> install and test.  Basically, our Fedora btrfs user base would drop
>> to nothing.
>>
>> Making it easy to test is a critical part of taking btrfs up to the
>> next level of stability!
>>

> It's a matter of user experience, here. By presenting something in the
> guided drop-down, we are effectively asserting that they are of equal
> utility and support. This is *not* the reality.
>
> Now, if you want to talk about having some sort of click-through for
> "I want to try out some experimental options without going all the way
> to customizing my layout manually", that (to me) needs to be a
> different, third path. But listing it directly alongside the default
> gives a false expectation.
>
> Now, this might be as simple as changing the modern drop-down from
>  * EXT4
>  * BTRFS
>  * XFS
>  [] Use LVM
>
> To something like:
>  * XFS-LVM (Recommended)
>  * XFS
>  * EXT4-LVM
>  * EXT4
>  * BTRFS (Experimental)
>
> But even still, Fedora QA is at least ostensibly supposed to test all
> guided paths and best-effort of custom paths. This is more paths than
> are strictly necessary, especially considering that we don't expect
> many people to actually USE the guided paths (in favor of custom
> and/or kickstart).

Ok I was just confused as I haven't done a normal install in a few
releases.  So you can still get to btrfs going through some new
"custom layout" option but you want to remove the "install onto btrfs"
easy button in the normal guided option?  I'm ok with this, I just
want to make sure that I/users don't have to jump through
icantbelieveitsnotbtr hoops to install onto btrfs.  Thanks,

Josef