On 26 May 2015 at 22:10, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:
> you need learn to accept that software reaches the point where iot is just
> *read yand finished* just because it does what it is supposed to do and
> needs ntohing fixed or changed all the time

I assume you can point to several high-quality desktop GUI
applications with 100% translator coverage with no reported bugs
without a release in the last five years?

> who are you to define if an application is "loved"

I'm the upstream and downstream maintainer of libappstream-glib,
appstream-data, gnome-software, libhif, PackageKit and other software.
I've been working in open source software for over a decade, most of
that time working for Red Hat maintaining my packages in Fedora and
RHEL. I've put significant amounts of work and personal time into
making installing software easier. I like to believe software should
be managed as a meritocracy, where the people doing all the hard work
get to decide the direction a project gets to go.

> there are likely users who love it longer than you appeared with the appdata
> idea at all and install, upgrade it with no need for any shiny interface

Sure, I'm not taking applications away from users. I'm saying that we
need to raise the bar on application quality. If you want to be in the
club, you have to play by the rules[1].

Richard

[1]
https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/blob/master/README.md#guidelines-for-applications