On 11/17/2011 9:54 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:

On Nov 17, 2011, at 7:45 AM, TERRY DONTJE wrote:

I could possibly buy your argument Ralph if this was a one off BTL that only Nathan (and his employer) is going to use. I am assuming though this is a more general protocol for a vendor specific protocol. Thus it seems that a sane naming of the BTL is within the realm of the community.

Guess I disagree - I would hate to get to a stage where we all have to pass every name thru a group approval process.

That's not what is happening here at all. I think there is kind of a precedent already set here where BTL's are named via protocols (sans openib). Actually, I think most of our components follow some sort of unspoken standard naming. There has been relatively few (none?) renaming of items that I remember. So this is clearly and exception case.

That being said, I think I would agree that Jeff should have passed this by Nathan first before posting the RFC (which for all I know he has)

That was my point, really, and an RFC was not required - if Nathan wants to change it, he can certainly do so.
I think it is within any community members right to propose a component be renamed. That's all Jeff is requesting and is signing up for the work.

just in case there is some background that would convince Jeff that vader is appropriate.

Regardless of whether or not it convinced Jeff, it remains Nathan's decision, IMO. I very much doubt Jeff wants to be in the position of "naming overlord", nor do I get the impression he was suggesting such a thing.

I don't think Jeff is wanting to be the naming overlord either but he has ran into an issue with the particular naming of a component and so it is up to him to try and convince others (first Nathan) that renaming the component is a sane thing to do.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

--td

--td