>> IF the smaller installer will automatically chain to the larger
>> installer when a suitable JVM isn't installed, then I would support
>> removing the link to the big one, although I still say it's a concession
>> to the moron party, since somebody might conceivably know that they
>> don't have a JVM, and want to save some time by downloading the big
>> installer straight off.

And I completely agree.  I am working to make the smaller installer
download and run the larger installer, but due to limitations in our
installer system (the free NSIS system), this is proving to be a pain in
the ass (unless the user is expected not to balk when entering the install
location, etc, all over again when the second installer is run)

> How about the same 2 seperate installers, with links saying:
> "Download this if you do not have a JVM, or are not sure"
> "Download this if you KNOW you have a JVM"

Sounds good, but then...

> Just how much bigger does the JVM make the installer?

... yeah.  The small installer is approx 50 something KB (and when the new
icons go in it will be nearer 100KB).  The with-java installer is over
15MB...

There's one final alternative.  The freenet installer could automatically
install and run Sun's JAVA Online Installer, which connects to SUN's
website to conditionally download the JVM.  We would have one
moderately-sizer installer (I guess about 400KB).  It's almost ideal,
unless the users are expected to balk at the idea of our installer running
a downloader than talks to Sun's servers.

If this is preceived as a Good Idea then I'll do it as soon as I can.  But
in the meantime, until I figure how to work around the NSIS problems, the
current situation really is the best we can offer.