On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Matthew Toseland <mj...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 16/11/14 16:36, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > We're in an interesting situation.  The world finally appears to really
> > care about the things that Freenet has been about from the very
> beginning a
> > decade and a half ago (most of the publicity back then viewed Freenet
> > through the prism of Napster and copyright infringement).  People finally
> > care about anonymity, privacy, government monitoring, etc.  We should be
> > able to capitalize on this but it will take work.
>

> And in the meantime every wannabe clone project gets all the funding,
> and we don't, because we're old news. Yeah.

I don't think it's because we're old news, although I think that's a
perception challenge we need to address.  I think it's because we really
haven't been making much of an effort to market ourselves.  In the past
journalists came to us, and I was fairly good at communicating with them on
the project's behalf, but we can't rely on organic press interest any more,
we need to make an effort to reach out.

For example, we should be perfect for a kickstarter project, we just need
to do it, and do it to a high standard (good message, good quality video,
etc).

I need to do a bit of research before responding to the rest of your email,
since I've been out-of-the-loop also (except for various administrative
tasks).

Ian.