Thanks for the detailed report.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> Hi devs,
> Over the weekend I asked my brother in law (who doesn’t anything about
> XWiki) to test it and give me some feedback. He did this test with me next
> to him so I could observe and ask him what was going through his head.
> I’m sending below a summary of the session. We now need to address each
> point and see what we want to do to improve the situation.
> The Setup
> ========
> * HSQLDB/Jetty already setup with an Admin user already logged in.

It's because you had the credentials in the browser's cache. Otherwise we
ask for them.

> * I had made the Admin user a simple user.

XE-1580: Change the user type for the Admin user to 'simple'

> * I later realized that I had forgotten to remove my local cookie on my
> computer and he didn’t have the Tour. Thus I don’t know if he’d have read
> it till the end of not.
> * I asked him 2 things only:
> ** Create some new pages
> ** Modify the home page
> The Feedback
> ===========
> * First thing he wanted to do was to switch the UI to French (he’s
> French). He looked for his user profile, found it, and couldn’t find a way
> to change the language. Fail. I had to tell give him the hint that language
> was a global wiki-level setting and I had to do it for him. Other feedback:
> The French translation for the language settings is really not
> user-friendly and needs to be changed, it’s currently “Localisation”, which
> is too technical.

XWIKI-6402: Separate Interface language and page language settings.

> * Then he said he spotted a bug. The home page had a title of “Home” in
> French instead of “Accueil”.
> * He looked around in the UI and at some point he clicked on Page
> Administration on the home page. This opened a UI with a title of
> "Administration : Main”. He asked: “what is Main?”. Indeed he was on the
> home page that was entitled “Home” and suddenly he was shown “Main” which
> 1/ was in English and 2/ didn’t mean anything to him.

We have several inconsistencies for the naming (Indexes, etc.). I agree
they are confusing.

> * Then he went on to create a new page and initially was looking for that
> in the drawer in the Wiki Administration UI… At some point, I had to tell
> him to stop and I created a simple user for him (that is not Admin so that
> he couldn’t do in the wiki administration - I should have started with this
> probably although we need to fix our issue that first time users are
> admins). Once this was done he was able to quickly find the “+” to create a
> new page.
> * However, he wanted to create a structure with a “Domain” folder and some
> pages inside that folder. He saw the Tree in the Navigation Panel and saw
> that it was hierarchical and thus he wanted to do the same and create that
> “Domain” folder first. So he cancelled the Create Page UI since this was
> about creating a page and he wanted a folder. He then found the “Children
> Pages” entry in the “More” menu. Note that in French it’s badly labelled as
> “Enfant de XXX” which was weird to him (FTR it’s also invalid
> grammatically, missing an “s” for plural) but he understood it was related
> to children page he suggested “Sous-pages” as a better translation). So he
> clicked on it and he saw a form displayed (actually it was the filter of
> the LT UI). And he started typing “Domain” in the text input but nothing
> happened and he was puzzled.
> —> When you look at the children LT for a page not having children, you’ll
> see that we should improve the UI. It doesn’t even say that’s it’s empty
> and that there are no children pages…
> * At this point he was a bit stuck and couldn’t understand how to create a
> folder. I had to tell him that in XWiki you could created hierarchical
> pages and that there’s no notion of folders (I didn’t want to explain the
> concept of Spaces especially since he hide this in the UI). He mentioned
> that after 20 years of Microsoft practice, everyone understands the concept
> of folders and files and that it’s hard to understand that we only have
> hierarchical pages. He suggest that we may want to have 2 “+” buttons next
> to each other (like “+” and “++” or some other visual with a tooltip of
> “Créer page” and “Créer sous-page"). One to create sibling pages and
> another one to create children pages). In his head, the default when you
> create a page is to create a sibling page, not a sub-page.

> * After this he was able to create his pages (note that he used
> immediately the templates we provided for his test and selected the
> Encyclopedia template).
> * He noted that the icon for Rename/Move/Delete was weird and he didn’t
> understand the relationship between the actions and the icon which is the
> one for settings (the cog). He suggested to use something different like a
> rubber (which incidentally I see that it’s missing from
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWiki+Icon+Set and we
> need to add it). FYI he was no longer Admin at this point so the “Page
> Administration” entry wasn’t visible.

Not sure about the rubber icon.

> * When he edited his first page, he quickly told me that that the “Save”
> buttons are way too hidden (they’re usually not even visible when you edit
> if you don’t scroll down). He was expecting them to see them at the top,
> close to the page menus. He suggested that we should have a horizontal bar
> that stays always visible when you scroll down and that contains the save
> buttons.

There are several problems with the bottom horizontal bar for
responsiveness and display of panels in mobile mode.

> * At this point he created a hierarchy of pages and then wanted to move
> some page around to test this feature. However he could find the menu entry
> to do so. He could easily find the move, copy and delete entries but that’s
> not what he was looking for. The reason is that the French translation is
> “Renommer”. On English I see that we’ve now renamed it to
> "core.menu.rename=Move / Rename”. But the French translation is still
> “Renommer”. When I suggested to have “Renommer / Déplacer” to him he said
> that he’d simply call it “Déplacer” since for renaming a page he doesn’t
> need to go to that screen and he can simply edit the page and change the
> title. He said it’s fine to leave the ability to change the title on the
> Move UI but that it was just a nice bonus and not the main goal of this
> screen in his opinion.
> * On the Rename UI screen, he started by clicking in the source
> breadcrumb, and he was surprised that the browser navigated away. Later on
> he realized that the was a target section. At this point he commented that
> he expected to see the target first since that’s what he wanted to change.
> He also suggested that if would be simpler to use if the target breadcrumb
> was replaced by a Tree to choose the new location.
> * When he tried to modify the home page he did it very easily and was able
> to put his own content. When I told him that some user find it difficult to
> understand that they could modify the home page he said that it’s not the
> first thing he’d have done.
> * On the positive side, the navigation panel was really nice for him. He
> kept using it all the time to navigate. Thus navigation wasn’t an issue for
> him.
> That’s it. Hope we can use this to improve basic user experience. The
> biggest item by far is to make users understand that there’s no folder and
> that there’s only hierarchical pages. I think I like his idea of the 2 add
> buttons (create sibling page and create children page), or something
> similar (I guess the Create UI itself could have a different UI to ask the
> user clearly if he/she wants to create a sibling or a children page).

So I don't like this idea about the folders. For me is like going backwards
to the "Space/Page" separation we had before the Nested Pages. Also the
sibling/children separation is strange/'technical'.