> On 17 Oct 2016, at 12:33, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the detailed report.
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>> Over the weekend I asked my brother in law (who doesn’t anything about
>> XWiki) to test it and give me some feedback. He did this test with me next
>> to him so I could observe and ask him what was going through his head.
>> I’m sending below a summary of the session. We now need to address each
>> point and see what we want to do to improve the situation.
>> The Setup
>> ========
>> * HSQLDB/Jetty already setup with an Admin user already logged in.
> It's because you had the credentials in the browser's cache. Otherwise we
> ask for them.

This was part of my setup for him. Not sure why you said “because”. There was
no question nor problem here :)

> * I had made the Admin user a simple user.
> XE-1580: Change the user type for the Admin user to 'simple'
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XE-1580

Again this was part of the setup I made so there was no problem about this.

However we do have a problem of having the first user be an admin user (see the
point about this in my report below), i.e. your first introduction to XWiki is
as an admin user, meaning you get to see more options (admin page menu entry,
global admin settings) which in this session caused several problems fpr him.

> * I later realized that I had forgotten to remove my local cookie on my
>> computer and he didn’t have the Tour. Thus I don’t know if he’d have read
>> it till the end of not.
>> * I asked him 2 things only:
>> ** Create some new pages
>> ** Modify the home page
>> The Feedback
>> ===========
>> * First thing he wanted to do was to switch the UI to French (he’s
>> French). He looked for his user profile, found it, and couldn’t find a way
>> to change the language. Fail. I had to tell give him the hint that language
>> was a global wiki-level setting and I had to do it for him. Other feedback:
>> The French translation for the language settings is really not
>> user-friendly and needs to be changed, it’s currently “Localisation”, which
>> is too technical.
> XWIKI-6402: Separate Interface language and page language settings.
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6402

This one seems quite important for newcomers. We should fix XWIKI-6042 ofc.
Another idea would be that, on the first run (ie when no admin user is set up
yet) we ask about the language(s) of the wiki in the DW.

Basically right now there needs to be an admin who set up the languages for the
wiki users, before simple users start using the wiki.

> [...]
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWiki+Icon+Set and we
>> need to add it). FYI he was no longer Admin at this point so the “Page
>> Administration” entry wasn’t visible.
> Not sure about the rubber icon.
>> * When he edited his first page, he quickly told me that that the “Save”
>> buttons are way too hidden (they’re usually not even visible when you edit
>> if you don’t scroll down). He was expecting them to see them at the top,
>> close to the page menus. He suggested that we should have a horizontal bar
>> that stays always visible when you scroll down and that contains the save
>> buttons.
> There are several problems with the bottom horizontal bar for
> responsiveness and display of panels in mobile mode.
>> * At this point he created a hierarchy of pages and then wanted to move
>> some page around to test this feature. However he could find the menu entry
>> to do so. He could easily find the move, copy and delete entries but that’s
>> not what he was looking for. The reason is that the French translation is
>> “Renommer”. On English I see that we’ve now renamed it to
>> "core.menu.rename=Move / Rename”. But the French translation is still
>> “Renommer”. When I suggested to have “Renommer / Déplacer” to him he said
>> that he’d simply call it “Déplacer” since for renaming a page he doesn’t
>> need to go to that screen and he can simply edit the page and change the
>> title. He said it’s fine to leave the ability to change the title on the
>> Move UI but that it was just a nice bonus and not the main goal of this
>> screen in his opinion.
>> * On the Rename UI screen, he started by clicking in the source
>> breadcrumb, and he was surprised that the browser navigated away. Later on
>> he realized that the was a target section. At this point he commented that
>> he expected to see the target first since that’s what he wanted to change.
>> He also suggested that if would be simpler to use if the target breadcrumb
>> was replaced by a Tree to choose the new location.
>> * When he tried to modify the home page he did it very easily and was able
>> to put his own content. When I told him that some user find it difficult to
>> understand that they could modify the home page he said that it’s not the
>> first thing he’d have done.
>> * On the positive side, the navigation panel was really nice for him. He
>> kept using it all the time to navigate. Thus navigation wasn’t an issue for
>> him.
>> That’s it. Hope we can use this to improve basic user experience. The
>> biggest item by far is to make users understand that there’s no folder and
>> that there’s only hierarchical pages. I think I like his idea of the 2 add
>> buttons (create sibling page and create children page), or something
>> similar (I guess the Create UI itself could have a different UI to ask the
>> user clearly if he/she wants to create a sibling or a children page).
> So I don't like this idea about the folders.

What idea? I don’t remember having mentioned any idea about having folders.
Caty it’s not an idea: it’s the way people approach hierarchy nowadays because
they’re used to filesystems.

> For me is like going backwards
> to the "Space/Page" separation we had before the Nested Pages.

I didn’t propose anything regarding reinstating spaces or folders so not sure
what you’re reacting against, could you be more explicit?

That said, the old way was much simpler to understand for users and was causing
less friction. They could create spaces and pages.

We lost that simplicity and I’m wondering if dropping spaces wasn’t a bad idea
(especially since we still have this at the model level).

In any case we need to discuss what are our options to make user understands
that we have only hierarchical pages and no concept of “folders”. And having
some text explanation is definitely not going to work on this (he didn’t even
start reading the text of the home page). Thus for me this has to be explained
by the UI somehow.

> Also the
> sibling/children separation is strange/'technical’.

The words are technical but the concepts are not because users are used to
folders. When you’re inside a folder you can create several files at the same
level (that’s siblings) and apparently that’s what he was expecting when he
clicked the “+” button (to create pages at the same level in the current