On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> > On 17 Jul 2017, at 13:42, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
> >

> >> On 17 Jul 2017, at 13:23, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <vali...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> when a
> >>>

> >> To be honest I would prefer to not have 'Deprecated' macros at all.
> >
> > I think you’re missing the use case and that’s why we still have the
> Spaces Macro in the Standard flavor (for example):
> >
> > * Imagine you have an XWiki 6.x installed
> > * Now imagine you want to upgrade to 8.x
> > * If we remove deprecated macros then suddenly after you upgrade your
> wiki you’ll get several pages failing with some red errors telling you that
> the macros are not available in your wiki.
> >
> > It’s the same reason why there are deprecations in Java: to not break
> users or developers.
> >
> > So yes we’ll be able to remove deprecated macros one day, when we judge
> that enough users have migrated to a recent versions and are no longer
> using the deprecated macros.
> >
> > I believe it’s still a bit too early for the Spaces macro for example
> (it was used by the Space Dashboard template for example). But it’s
> possible that once we have 9.x be the LTS, we could think about removing it.
> >
> > However there’ll always be use cases for deprecated macros.
>
> FTR and the for the sake of being complete on this discussion, it’s
> possible to do what you want Caty, but we would need to implement something
> more complex:
> * During upgrade, find out if there are macros used (by searching in the
> wiki for example - but it’s not guaranteed we’ll find all places since the
> macro usage could be generated by script) that are not bundled anymore and
> if so propose in the DW UI a step to install them.

yes, interesting :) but as you said more work.

So, in this case, we should use just 1 category (not 2) - let's choose
'Deprecated'. This category should not be displayed in the Editor, but kept
for backwards compatibility. In the Macros Index, we will display it there
and also the macro will be findable with EM in the installed category.

Actually I think we need some more generic rule regarding this
'Deprecation' topic, since it applies also on Panels.

>From an usage perspective the "(Legacy)" or "Deprecated" wording on warning
boxes, increases more the attention I give to that macro/panel instead of
doing the exact opposite.

Thanks,
Caty