Hello Vincent,

On 15 Feb 2018, at 7:25, Vincent Massol wrote:
having some experience with TeX I would implement CSS with macro-definitions… Every element start would be a call to a macro that would check for rules that would apply to its element, including passing parameters of their ancestry.

Could you give an example of what you mean by macro-definitions? Is this something that exist in TeX?

Definitely. The complete TeX is based on macros.
Basic macros are created using the \def macro.
See e.g. http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-whatmacros.html

Closer to the HTML world, there are the LaTeX environments. They are nestable and extensible: see http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-whatenv.html

This would be the way to create styles I think.
Paths are not transported, as far as I know (would they be called maybe environment stack?). That would need to be carried as an extra parameter produced by the renderer. I would also think that recognising complex rules with such as classes would need an amount of coding before the LaTeX is processed.

However, I guess that your solution seems probably more ad hoc and more practical.

Is there any reason that you don’t use the XSL-FO renderer that use LaTeX? I thought there were several of them.

Do you have a pointer? As I said in my original mail I tried to search for an XHTML to LaTeX converter/XSLT but couldn’t. If you know of one, I’ll gladly have a look.

The world is thinner than I thought.
The closest I could find are the TEI renderers:
        http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-xsl/
        https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb27-0/rahtz.pdf
or DocBookLaTeX
        https://sourceforge.net/projects/dblatex/