Hi Paul,

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 08:24, Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Vincent,
>
> On 15 Feb 2018, at 7:25, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>> having some experience with TeX I would implement CSS with
>>> macro-definitions… Every element start would be a call to a macro that
>>> would check for rules that would apply to its element, including passing
>>> parameters of their ancestry.
>>
>> Could you give an example of what you mean by macro-definitions? Is this
>> something that exist in TeX?
>
> Definitely. The complete TeX is based on macros.
> Basic macros are created using the \def macro.
> See e.g. http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-whatmacros.html
>
> Closer to the HTML world, there are the LaTeX environments. They are nestable
> and extensible:  see http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-whatenv.html
>
> This would be the way to create styles I think.
> Paths are not transported, as far as I know (would they be called maybe
> environment stack?). That would need to be carried as an extra parameter
> produced by the renderer. I would also think that recognising complex rules
> with such as classes would need an amount of coding before the LaTeX is
> processed.

Very useful thanks. I think this is the same as what I was mentioning using
.sty files. You would put the defiinition of new environments/macros/etc inside
this .sty file and then have the XWiki renderer output those new
environments/macros, allowing the user to tune the .sty file he/she wants to
use to get the right styling.

>>> However, I guess that your solution seems probably more ad hoc and more
>>> practical.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason that you don’t use the XSL-FO renderer that use LaTeX?
>>> I thought there were several of them.
>>
>> Do you have a pointer? As I said in my original mail I tried to search for
>> an XHTML to LaTeX converter/XSLT but couldn’t. If you know of one, I’ll
>> gladly have a look.
>
> The world is thinner than I thought.
> The closest I could find are the TEI renderers:
>       http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-xsl/
>       https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb27-0/rahtz.pdf

This seems like the TEI XML format is meant to be used as the input and then
transformed either to XHTML (web site) or to LaTeX/PDF for publishing. Googling
quickly I couldn’t find a XHTML -> TEI XSL stylehseet.

> or DocBookLaTeX
>       https://sourceforge.net/projects/dblatex/

This is interesting but we would need to have a proper DocBook renderer. We
have the start of one though but it would need to be improved a lot.

I’m a bit way of going through too many intermediate tool chain as every time
you get some mismatch impedance that gets in the way. So I have the feeling
that for the best result/control the solution would be to directly output LaTeX
using custom XWiki environments/macros.

If you don’t need this level of control, XWiki users should simply use the PDF
export.

Now, I’ve just discovered TeX (typesetting engine) and LaTeX (“standard" macros
on top of TeX) yesterday so this is still new to me and I’m likely to miss a
lot of things at this stage :)

Opinions are more than welcome!

Thanks again for your help Paul, that’s great
-Vincent