Hi Simon,

> On 16 Oct 2018, at 17:43, Simon Urli <simon.u...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm coming back on this proposal as the work is going on, to basically
> propose to dropping the warning on copy action.
>
> I try to sum up why in the following.
>
> When implementing the proposal, I was adviced to use an event listener,
> observing the deleting event for informing the user if he were doing a
> refactoring on a document containing an XClass.
> This work is already implemented and working for Moving/Renaming pages (which
> involve deleting the old page) and of course deleting.

The nice part about the listener is that it works for all use cases:
* rename/move from the UI
* rename/move from scripts
* etc

The bad parts are:
1) right now we don’t provide a nice UI when an event is cancelled. AFAIR we
just display a stack trace in the UI which is definitely not good enough. Are
you improving this part?
2) this is after the fact. Imagine that you’re renaming a set of pages and
among them there are several coming from an app. It’ll work fine on pages not
having an XClass (like moving the page having an XObject of that XClass) and
then failing down the line on the page having the XClass. That’s a problem
because the xobject page will be wrongly moved, since it doesn’t make sense
that it’s moved if the other pages of the app are not moved. Generally speaking
you’ll have a bad state that is not easy to rollback.

This is why for me the check also has to be done in the move/rename UI and
verify that among the list of pages there are none with XClass and if so
prevent moving/renaming any page.

This is not in contradiction with the listener but the more important (from a
usage POV) is the check in the move/rename UI and not the listener which is a
more advanced use case.

> Now going back on "Copy" the page, it's another job as I cannot rely on a
> "Deleting" event. I checked quickly and I don't think I really could rely on
> other events for this: basically copying is about creating a document and
> updating its content, and I don't think we want to rely on those event for
> this mechanism.
>
> So unless you have another proposal to handle this case, I propose to simply
> drop it.
>
> Do you agree?

AFAIK if you copy a set of pages with pages having an XClass in it, then the
copied pages won’t work so we shouldn’t drop this. We should just implement the
protection at the UI level (ie the copy action), same as for rename/move and
not implement the listener part (ie not support the script use case).

Thanks
-Vincent