Steve Eskow wrote:

>Taran,
>
>You've clearly described one technical outworking of the idea of "public
>computing."
>
>There was an influential book some years ago titled IDEAS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

I shall have to find this book and read it.

>We need technical outworkings of the idea of public computing such as you
>propose.
>
>Perhaps we need separate attention to how we get attention and support for
>the "idea" of public, rather than private and personal, computing.
>
>To pick a controversial example:
>
>I go to Ghana on March 9 . Everywhere in Ghana, and Africa in general,
>religion is exploding. Churches and mosques springing up everywhere, with
>clergy and congregations committed to public service as well as to faith.

No puns intended, I'm sure.

>These churches often have connections to world networks of their
>denomination; many of the churches in the richer countries provide support
>of various kinds for the emerging churches in the "Third World."
>
>If those churches could be influenced to see themselves as part of the
>answer to the "digital divide," we might find computers and training and
>software and maintenance installed in little churches in the "Third World."
>
>The larger question becomes: how do we get churches, and schools, and
>libraries, and NGO's to see that they have a role in shrinking the digital
>divide, and becoming the scene of public computing?

Sorry about the long response. This is a topic I have actually thought
about quite a bit. I don't think I wrote anything offensive (it's hard
to tell on religious topics), so if I did, please understand that it was
not intentional. Now that I have your attention...

This is a tough topic, mainly because many religions - or better, many
followers of religions - don't 'play well with' other religions. A look
at the latest headlines in any part of the world confirms this.

Using religious pretexts bothers me because of this. What happens if I
live in a country where - for the sake of discussion - Paganism is the
State religion (official or otherwise, does it really matter?) and I'm a
Hindu. Must I become a Pagan to pull myself onto the other side of the
Digital Divide? I cringe at the thought that people would even think of
giving up their personal beliefs to simply get enough inductive kick to
get to the other side of the Digital Divide. I'm a strong advocate for
perseverance of culture and identity of the individual.

Of course, that might be an interesting thing to look at - teledensity
and religion. But what all of this does is it separates people. It's bad
enough that there are enough denominations of major religions, where
wars have been waged over differences of opinion of interpretation.

Now, what might be nice is if the various religions in an area can bite
their tongues in a geographic area long enough to get to know each
other. And if the people of all these religions can get along and build
something for the greater community, such that even an atheist would
feel comfortable in going there, then we might have something. Sadly, I
believe that this is unrealistic. I have lots of personal anecdotes on
this, but none life threatening (knock on wood). There are parts of the
world where even being a different religion is very similar to being a
part of a different gang.

On the flip side, community centers could be operated with funding from
various religious institutions as long as they don't consider the land
'Holy'.

In the end, I really think that the Digital Divide can only be bridged
by individuals acting in their own interest - taking ownership of their
lives. When it comes to infrastructural issues, governments are
responsible - but in any democracy, ultimately the individual is
responsible. This is actually Randian in a way, but I think it's
respectful. The Digital Divide has individual context for each one of us
- from expensive Wi-Fi in Parisian hotels to not even having access in
parts of Africa. One of the things that has struck me in my latest
travels is bandwidth; in Trinidad and Tobago I paid about $100 US/month
for a phone and 256 ADSL (which is very undependable, shame on the
government monopoly). On the flip side, I stayed at a Howard Johnson in
Hialaea, Miami, and had more bandwidth than I could shake a stick at. I
am writing this using my mother's Verizon DSL, and it still amazes me at
how fast stuff happens.

When I get back to the Caribbean next week, I shall be very
disappointed. But it's that disappointment that drives - we have to
strive to expect more in many parts of the world. Where 256K ADSL is
crappy in Trinidad and Tobago, nobody has effectively voiced the
problems there. They just live with it, and even the leaders in ICT from
the region don't publicly expect better from the governmental monopoly.
5 years of promises about the privatization of the telecommunications
industry will stretch into 6, maybe even 10, because people just don't
expect anything better. I think that this paralysis is one of the
greatest problems of the Digital Divide, and I think anyone who thinks
that they are a leader should be vociferous about such things. This
easily translates to rural communities or ghettos in the developed world.

Schools? Yes, I would agree. And yet, not in the present academic
system. The Digital Divide's answer will probably be very expensive
through this avenue; schools have not kept pace with things as one would
have hoped. More money would be funneled into more books, computers,
buildings, administration - but the most valuable parts of schools will
probably continue to be neglected: Students & Teachers, and the curriculum.

Personally, I just try to make a difference wherever I am. If it means
administering last rites to a IBM OS/2 system that was bought for $25
(which I did 2 days ago), to putting Mozilla and OpenOffice.org on my
mother's computer, to simply going to a Suncoast LUG meeting.

Technology is just a tool. The real problem of the Digital Divide isn't
technology as much as it is use of technology in an appropriate manner
which increases the quality of life. Giving a farmer in an obscure part
of the world an internet connection isn't going to feed him or her. It's
the social interaction and imaginative use of technology that will help
that farmer to create a better way of life.

Telecenters in many guises are already in existence. Schools. Coffee
Shops. Even 'LAN parties' where people bring their computers and connect
them in a local network to play games is a Telecenter. A family
telecenter exists when there is only one computer in a household. It's a
*part* of the whole, and that part doesn't define the whole. When it
comes to churches and schools, I think that certain parts have become
dominant and attempt to define the whole. That's a personal observation;
an opinion.

I think we can do better than use institutions that segregate. I think
what we really need are the common ground areas; and if chuches and
schools can be adapted to that purpose, then maybe they would serve
their own purposes better as well as serve the community in bridging the
Digital Divide. But if they don't, we'll have increased segregation and
even more little groups that are on the wrong end of the Digital Divide.

--
Taran Rampersad

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.linuxgazette.com