From: J Cravens [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:43:52 +0200
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DDN] Educating the philanthropic community

Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  >>the point is that a lot of the technology we're discussing
>should be encouraged by critical things - not by things that
>artificially creating a need and building unrealistic explanations -

I wanted to say "hurrah" for this excellent point. I know that we
could probably debate until the end of time what technology is the
"right" technology for any given situation, but I do think that it's
a much better-informed debate that can lead to more sustainable,
more-audience-appropriate tech, than leaving the "discussion" to
those with better advertising.

About half a dozen times, I've been approached by a senior manager
who got bedazzled by a sales pitch and he's now decided that the
organization, or those it serves, really need WhamBam software, or
BlingBling Inc. hardware. And I've had to put together powerpoint
presentations and cost benefit tables and narratives and interpretive
dances to counter the argument of the salesmen, whose undone months
of methodical, critically-thought-out strategic planning. Sometimes
I'm successful, but often, I'm stuck, or the people we were serving
get stuck, with WhamBam software and BlingBling Inc. hardware. All
because a non-tech person got bedazzled by advertising.

One of the digital divides that needs to be bridged is helping people
-- anywhere -- make informed choices about hardware and software, and
being able to articulate and identify their own needs. but that's a
rather huge goal in and of itself...

--
Jayne Cravens

Services for Mission-Based Orgs