On Monday, 26 August 2013 at 10:52:23 UTC, Mike Wey wrote:
Usually the actual binary has the fully qualified version number, and libphobos2.so would be included/created by the devel package.

Yes, that does seem to be the case with other packages, I am simply reluctant to make any steps further from upstream until I have carefully studied that domain - and shared library deployment is not something I am very familiar with. It is number one topic on my TODO list.

Also Archlinux usually doesn't have devel packages, the headers, libraries and documentation are included in the regular package.

It was a subject to hot 30min long debate on clode #archlinux-tu channel, not only my personal decision :) For normal packages difference between dependency environment and development environment is not that important - but for compiled languages it does matter. Pulling in all D development stack for a single application written in D is quite inconvenient for an end user.

Done similarly in gcc - stdlib headers are part of gcc package, but libstdc++ has its own.

`-devel` packages are rare on Arch, but they do exist.