Steve,

I cloned your Git repository. Instead of editing your Makefile to switch
from your file structure to mine, I created a SCons build, using the
separate compilation approach for now. with my 64-bit build of your
code, I am seeing errors such as:

acomp.d(782): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression
(parent.children.length + 1LU) of type ulong to int
acomp.d(801): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (p.children.length +
1LU) of type ulong to int
acomp.d(857): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (p.children.length)
of type ulong to int

so it looks like your code is 32-bit specific. I guess this is the
ago-old problem of C, C++, D, etc. that int is the most natural size for
the platform, code is inherently not as portable as you think.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net