On Sunday, 9 February 2014 at 09:36:15 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
Steve,

I cloned your Git repository. Instead of editing your Makefile to switch from your file structure to mine, I created a SCons build, using the separate compilation approach for now. with my 64-bit build of your
code, I am seeing errors such as:

acomp.d(782): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (parent.children.length + 1LU) of type ulong to int acomp.d(801): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (p.children.length + 1LU) of type ulong to int acomp.d(857): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (p.children.length) of type ulong to int

so it looks like your code is 32-bit specific. I guess this is the ago-old problem of C, C++, D, etc. that int is the most natural size for
the platform, code is inherently not as portable as you think.

Thanks Russel. I suspected that would be the case - like you say, old habits die hard. I guess I'll have to install 64 bit Ubuntu on my laptop so I have somewhere to launder the code, and build 64 bit.

Steve