On 3/2/2014 7:35 AM, Dicebot wrote:
On Sunday, 2 March 2014 at 12:29:15 UTC, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
I'd say a good static code analysis require a full compiler frontend
and I see no reasons why there can't be such thing in dmd as it is
just as required as profiler, unittesting or documentation generation
which are already in. Of course it has nothing to do with compiler
warnings and is a separate thing. But looks like people aren't
interested in it as enhancement request 9811 [1] still has no votes or
discussion.

I think built-in profile and documentation is also inferior to having
those as separate binaries but distributing together with compiler and
being callable from it. Unit test are different because those are much
more integrated with language itself.

Personally, I've never really understood the benefit one way or another of related tools being in one binary vs multiple binaries. As I see it, the important thing is that all relevant *source* is well-encapsulated. Unless you're on a system where kilobytes matter (ie, if you're in a time warp), anything else just comes down to a matter of:

git clone url
dmd -profile src.d

vs

git-clone url
dmd-profile src.d

Compiler as a (dynamic) library is the way to go.

Definitely!