On Sunday, 2 March 2014 at 21:41:26 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Personally, I've never really understood the benefit one way or another of related tools being in one binary vs multiple binaries. As I see it, the important thing is that all relevant *source* is well-encapsulated. Unless you're on a system where kilobytes matter (ie, if you're in a time warp), anything else just comes down to a matter of:

Main difference that matters is separation of the code base that makes maintenance of each tool independent from compiler core and thus easier. This also propagates to separation of CLI flags and configuration files and so on, allowing for more combined interface complexity.

git CLI is designed hierarchically so passing all those parameters is obvious. This can't be done for dmd without changing it CLI completely or introducing some weird hacks.