On Monday, 31 March 2014 at 14:46:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

It's quite obvious. The D codebase is smaller and simpler than clang pp's and can be taken many places; the next thing I'll work on is multithreaded preprocessing that shares already opened files. One thing that is self-evident but the article could have stressed is that open-sourcing warp is the beginning, not the end of its lifecycle. There's a lot of improvements that are within easy reach for warp, and are easier to realize than for clang.

Andrei

We also have the ability to present it in a different use-case, pre-processing every header in one invocation, allowing warp to do some optimizations that Clang and GCC won't do, such as unconditional pre-processing (stripping comments and things such as #if 0 / #if 1, or conditions that are unconditionally met by things defined within the header, typically used to disable/enable certain code) because they would be of very limited use to GCC and Clang, which are typically invoked once for every source file. Warp could also offer the ability to pass certain #define's that are known to never be #undef'd by the source code (such as compiler capabilities / version identifications), allowing for more extensive unconditional pre-processing.