You can see some margin notes I added this morning about stuff I was thinking about saying to fill time!

For example, being willing to experiment helps with speed, like Walter said. It also applies here: disassemblies might be scary the first time, but if you dive into it and see about toying with it, just tinker, guess and check your way to better benchmarks... you'll probably find success before too long.

And the key point with the "just try it gnashing of teeth" note is that you really don't have much to lose! Except time perhaps, but once you've done it a few times you'll be able to find shortcuts. And besides put a time limit on yourself to make sure you don't waste your whole life and you'll be ok.

LOL up top I called myself a "web/dynamic god". See what I said about my ego? I praise me even in notes to self!

Up top, I made a note to self after Don's talk, where he talked about getting serious with industrial use. Well, I say back to fun... but at the same time, knowing the whole library is useful. Not only is it good to know the underlying stack when abstractions start leaking, but there's actually practical applications to playing with the runtime:

1) Special performance or size requirements (Sociomantic, I think Mike Parker did that for some games too, or embedded stuff)

2) Organization-wide lint kind of stuff. You can use a custom object.d for RTInfo for example to do checks and not worry about third-party integration so much because you are only interested in "works for me" without the hassle of redistribution.

3) Running D in places like a platform that only has a C compiler or maybe converting to JavaScript (that's how I started this, it was dtojs forked off Daniel Murphy's D->C converter that first got me playing without the runtime) might find use of these functions being implemented differently or ignored.

So while I still tend to say half the stuff I mentioned there is useless info, the general idea of being willing to play with it might not be - you never know when one of these random ideas will work out.

* * *

Two other margin notes that came up during the conference: Walter mentioned UFCS with the first argument as the "this" thing.... but when you do a method on a struct, the this reference is actually passed as a (hidden) last argument! So I just lol'd a bit at it not being quite so uniform.

The other one is moving the language to object.d. For example, some of the chatter after Don's talk was about size_t being unsigned. So annoying! I think it would be kinda nice if that could actually be redefined somehow. I've also talked before about how it might be cool to to "alias int = __int;" to use builtin ints or "int = RangedChecked!(0, 100);" to make the int type behave differently in the case of that custom runtime.

To my surprise though, I ran out of time and even had to cut some questions short :( Oh well, y'all can always find me here.

PS sorry I had to run out early today during the lightning talks! My ride back to the airport was already there, they wanted to avoid rush hour traffic.