On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 05:23:03 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I always chalked it up to the whole "nerd" thing: Inverse relationship in outgoingness between in-person vs semi-anonymous.

I don't think I'm /that/ much different; I rarely start threads, for example, but will talk in replies, which is analogous to waiting for someone else to approach me in person then having the discussion before going back into the shadows once it runs its course.

I also lurk on forums for a pretty long time before posting, similarly to how I sit quietly in bigger groups until I get to know the people (and generally until someone on the inside takes me under their wing).