On Wednesday, 6 August 2014 at 05:20:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/3/2014 8:51 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
This windiows installer went wrong on me.
First, it tried to uninstall, it offered to uninstall from 'C:\D'. My DMD install is 'C:\dev\D'... The path was presented in a greyed out textbox that I couldn't type in to correct it, and no button to select the true install location.
The uninstall step failed.

Then when reinstalling I was given the option where to install, I chose 'C:\dev\D' and it installed over the top of my existing install, and wiped my sc.ini file. So I need to configure the DirectX SDK paths again.

Please file these on bugzilla as 2 bug reports.

https://issues.dlang.org/enter_bug.cgi

Side note:
I still think the installer really should detect the DXSDK; it's a Microsoft library, and virtually any multimedia software developed with VS2010 or prior
will depend on it (It's merged into the WinSDK since DX2012).

The DXSDK install paths are:
Include: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include Lib: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x64

The "(June 2010)" part is a safe assumption, it's the last released one, and it will remain so since it's now bundled with the WinSDK for more recent visual studio releases. It's the only one available on the Microsoft website. As I see it, if we profess to support VS2010 and prior, then we should detect the DXSDK paths in the installer, otherwise software that builds fine in VS2012+ won't work with VS2010 without user intervention, and that will almost certainly
lead to posts on this forum.

One of the reasons I delayed so long in supporting VS is because Microsoft changes things around with every release, making trying to support whatever version the customer has is a constant configuration/testing nightmare, consuming a great deal of time and effort with little payback.

With dmc, this is not a problem.

As an aside, one thing I find difficult to understand is why experienced C++ developers find it so hard to set an environment variable (or one in the sc.ini) pointing to where the right .h files are and the right .lib files are.

I don't think it's difficult for them, I think they often just don't know they can. Environment variables just aren't as well known on Windows these days. If you are an 18 year old getting into programming you likely have never even heard of environment variables or batch files and may not even know how to use the command prompt (or open it for that matter). Windows Vista came out when they were 10 years old and the days of having to know and use the command prompt for typical users were long gone by this point. I'm thirty so I knew and used MS-DOS as a kid (I had to) but if you've never used these things how would you know you could?

Even if you are an experienced programmer having used Visual Studio or some other IDE for years you'd likely not have had to adjust environment variables to get anything to work.

Manu knows these things, of course, but his it-should-just-work complaints probably go a long way to helping people who don't know these things.

Heck, I just cribbed them from where Microsoft set them in its own command prompt shortcut "Visual Studio x64 Win64 Command Prompt (2010)". For example, clicking on the shortcut and typing "set" gives:

[...]

I added the same style of command prompt for DMD to the installer a couple years ago. One for 64-bit and one for 32-bit.