On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 07:13:09 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2014-10-29 22:51, Christian Schneider wrote:

Btw, fixed the example, thanks for giving me the right clues. Of course, it was just the manual memory management à la Objective-C that was missing! I am really lucky that I spent already days, maybe weeks debugging retain / release / autorelease on many projects, so for me this will be peanuts! I just had a little flashback. I love ARC and am looking forward for D to feature it as well, but for now, manual memory
management is really not the thing that will put me off.

I had a look at your fix. I see that you added a call to "release" in the destructor. Just for the record, there's no guarantee that the destructor of a GC allocated object gets run, at all.

Slightly derailing the conversation, but I see this all the time...

Isn't the situation actually this:

GC allocated objects are not guaranteed to be de-allocated before program termination. If a GC allocated object is deallocated, its destructor *is* guaranteed to be called.
Except:
Destructors are not called for arrays of objects, whether they are structs or emplaced classes, even when they are de-allocated.
  • Re: D/Objective-C 64bit Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: D/Objective-C 64bi... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: D/Objective-C ... Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: D/Objectiv... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: D/Obje... Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: D... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Christian Schneider via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Michel Fortin via Digitalmars-d-announce