On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 01:17:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hello,

Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the first six months of 2015.

http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1

This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and plan to work actively on. We encourage the D community to focus contributions along the same lines.

We intentionally kept the document short and high-level as opposed to discussing tactical details. Such discussions are encouraged in the appropriate forums.

Nice work, D needed some direction like this. I thought one oversight was no mention of ddmd, which seems to have gone into limbo over the last year. According to Daniel, it's pretty much done but is just waiting on Brad to add some support in the auto-tester, for 9 months now:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/m8bt6s$1s86$1...@digitalmars.com

Moving the dmd frontend to D would help encourage contribution, one of the explicit goals in the vision statement, and would help keep the C++ support up to date, as the backends will stay C++.

I wish there had been some mention of mobile. Recent news was that 1 billion Android smartphones were sold last year: that dwarfs the 316 million PCs sold, a number that keeps declining. That doesn't even include the two hundred million tablets sold last year. Right now, there's two people working on Android support and one person on iOS support.

Even Android has moved to Ahead-Of-Time compilation with Lollipop. Mobile is a giant opportunity for native languages, one D cannot afford to miss.