On 25/01/16 7:39 PM, Andrew Edwards wrote:
On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 03:21:51 UTC, Puming wrote:
On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 02:37:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hot off the press! http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H1 -- Andrei

[snip]

For tooling, I suggest a look at GUI/IDEs, now that dlangui/dlangide
seems a good candidate(native D, crossplatform). A good official
supported GUI library will attract many people.

I truly doubt that. It would be truly amazing if that were to occur but
history has proven otherwise. The sentiment was expressed so many times
that Walter was finally moved to sanction DWT as the official GUI for D
in 2006. Even a newsgroup was made for it. It's ten years later. DWT
anyone?

Aurora was a recent attempt that was shelved for the sole author's
personal reasons. Result?

Sadly, dlangui/dlangide is no different. It has one developer. If that
individual gets discouraged, like so many others have so far, what
becomes of it?

Until members of the community starts combining efforts and working
together to improve the situation, it will not improve. You have Adam
working on working on simpledisplay, Mike working on Derelict, Felix
working on three-d, Vladimir working on ae-graphics, Martin on
freeimage, Vadim on dlangui/dlangide and who knows what else is out
there in the wood works. All of this is admirable and appreciated but
imagine what would be possible if these minds teamed up, mapped out a
graphic solution for the language and united efforts in implementing it!

I'm convinced that without such a deliberate effort, this situation will
not change for years to come. Even if a particular library is dubbed
"The One." Like I've said earlier, that was already done ten years ago.

I agree.
This is why everything I'm doing right now for windowing and image library builds upon what has come before but in a Phobos quality way.

Unless it is in Phobos, its not good enough as a base IMO.