On 2016-05-09 18:57, Stefan Koch wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have been looking into the DMD now to see what I can do about CTFE.
Unfortunately It is a pretty big mess to untangle.
Code responsible for CTFE is in at least 3 files.
[dinterpret.d, ctfeexpr.d, constfold.d]
I was shocked to discover that the PowExpression actually depends on
phobos! (depending on the exact codePath it may or may not compile...)
which let to me prematurely stating that it worked at ctfe
[http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ukcoibejffinknrbz...@forum.dlang.org]

My Plan is as follows.

Add a new file for my ctfe-interpreter and update it gradually to take
more and more of the cases the code in the files mentioned above was
used for.

Do Dataflow analysis on the code that is to be ctfe'd so we can tell
beforehand if we need to store state in the ctfe stack or not.

Or baring proper data-flow analysis: RefCouting the variables on the
ctfe-stack could also be a solution.

I will post more details as soon as I dive deeper into the code.

I was listening to a discussion Don and Daniel had about the current implementation of CTFE. They talked about using a byte code interpreter. Even implementing a really crappy byte code interpreter would be a huge improvement.

--
/Jacob Carlborg