On 02/12/2018 05:02 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 02:54:48PM +0000, rikki cattermole via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
[...]
Everything you have mentioned is not in Phobos. Just because something
is 'good enough' does not make it 'good enough' for Phobos. In the
words of Andrei "Good enough is not good enough", we need to aim
higher to show what we actually can do.

And thus Phobos continues to let the perfect be the enemy of the good,
and 10 years later std.xml will still be around, and we will still be
arguing over how to replace it.

+Several billion.

Like the improved assert messages we would've had since many years ago and was implemented, done and ready to go, but it was instead thrown away because...(and here's the real kicker, considering current D climate)...because it was a fully in-library solution instead of a new compiler feature. Go figure ::eyeroll::

Seriously, I would have thought something like this would be obvious to
programmers of the calibre found on these forums.  I'm a little
astonished that this would even be such a point of contention in the
first place, since the solution is so simple.

I would've expected so too, if it weren't that one of the top favorite activities 'round these parts is nitpicking reasonable ideas to death for stupid reasons. And, generally letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.
              • ... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: dxml 0.... Chris via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: dxm... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: dxml 0.... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: dxml 0.... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: dxm... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: dxml 0.2.0 relea... Johannes Loher via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: dxml 0.2.0 relea... Jesse Phillips via Digitalmars-d-announce