On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 03:02:15 UTC, Joakim wrote:
The future of native code will be replacing scripting languages. D is really good at that task.

This will never happen, doesn't matter how good D is at it, they will always be better because they sacrifice performance for ease of use.

I think it depends on a couple of factors. First, some of us prefer static typing, but until a few years ago, the POS known as Java was the best available language with static typing. As languages like D build up libraries that make it easy to replace the functionality of scripting languages, many of us will move. Second, scripting languages lose their ease of use advantages quickly once performance becomes an issue. As data science and web services continue to grow at a fast pace, more programs are being written for which performance will eventually be an issue.

AFAIK, nobody in the broader community was ever told that the D foundation money would be used to fund a bunch of Romanian interns, it just happened.

My understanding is that a lot of that was funded by Andrei (but maybe I am wrong) so I have never had a problem with that decision. Where it does cause problems is that anyone else, myself included, may not be eager to donate for that reason because it's not what we feel is going to help with adoption of the language. As you mentioned, some work on IDEs is being funded, but even then it appears to be one IDE for Windows users. That's not relevant to anything I'm doing. It's better if I contribute by improving the ecosystem in a way that helps others doing the same things.