On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 10:13:13 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:

I would STRONGLY advise to go with a ready engine like Unity.

You still have to learn a lot before you will have just building blocks to create a game like loading and rendering 3D models, a gameplay framework etc etc.

Start with Unity, lean how to make a game there. Learn how to programm gameplay there and after that, when you see what is needed before even being able to make a game, only then try to make things from scratch. Use C# in Unity too as it is similar to D so you will have easier transition when necessary.

I'd definitely agree. The things you'll learn there will make using something else actually possible. Starting from scratch you'll spend about the first year or so building up the boilerplate to let you actually get to the parts you want. I've built up about half a dozen engines to that point to only lose interest or run into issues with the story I'm trying to tell and stop making progress.

That said I'm hoping to have YAGE[1] up and working again with D2 soon which would mean that there should be a nice starting point for building games with D; Even if that starting point is some basic ideas of what doesn't work well.