On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 15:06:35 UTC, Benny wrote:

I am personally confused with D's message.

I think that point hits the cause of your problem with D (along with your need to 'choose' something over 'something' else).

Stop looking for the meaning of D .. and start experiencing it.
(there is no meaning...to anything!)

Stop comparing D to other things, and just enjoy what it has to offer.
(tribalism not cool!)

And btw. one persons technical justification for using x, is another persons technical justification for not using x.

Plenty of experienced programmers (who never used D before) now enjoy using D, even if they still have to program in other languages...in order to earn a living.

Too many corporations have big investments in other languages. Don't expect D to compete here anytime soon. That is the nature of business. If D is to take off anywhere, it will be in the open source community, and startups - not a google or facebook, and certainly never microsoft.

D has a lot of good and interesting things to offer to the world of software development, including an amazing, reasonably efficient standard library (with support from the compiler). It also supports all major platforms that matter (although it's hard to argue that windows 32bit 'matters' ;-). And there is no corporate backer making this all happen. It's just people who want to build something great, and give up their time to do it.

D has the benefit of having a compiler expert, and an algorithm expert in the core team. The advantage from this cannot be underestimated (which is why many are willing to look the other way when it comes to lack of significant management skills ;-) ..and I'd rather it that way, than the other way (i.e great managers, who don't understand a thing). Both would be nice.. but who has that?

But D is on a road trip...it's not at its destination (I'm not sure it even knows - or cares - where its going ;-)

Just enjoy the road trip! Or jump out. It's entirely your choice.

But the road trip will continue, and those on it, will keep enjoying new sights...