On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 01:46:02 UTC, Token wrote:

D should recognize and embrace its nature as research platform/compiler enthusiasts playground favorite.

I think this is a really good point, and one that D should be proud of.

That is pretty much how I see D, and I really enjoy seeing how people 'play' with it. You get some really interesting outcomes, including this one I saw today:

"abc".repeat(1000).joiner.writeln;

https://forum.dlang.org/thread/nmewpndfcyvidcvxc...@forum.dlang.org

Stuff like that comes from playing around.

But.. I would add.. that D already can (and already does) solve a great number of real world programming problems, while falling short of solving many others.

But modern day demands of programming languages are really complex, and getting more and more so by the day...as the world seeks to become more and more connected - and 'safer'.

Personally, I think C++ has more challenges to contend with than D, in terms of becoming a modern day programming language.