On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 09:11:44 UTC, ketmar wrote:
because Business Developers wants it that way. they are... well... Doing Business, and they wants someone to maintain all the libraries they are using. for free, of course. and what can be better than to offload this burden to language developers?

... really? This is the attitude here.

almost each time we hear about "D should have XXX in standard library", it comes either from Business Developer,

The reason why people prefer official supported library functionality is because:

* Your guaranteed that this will have maintainers. Unlike alternative unofficial solutions.

* Guaranteed for a official stable API that will be similar across libraries. Cutting down on time for new developers to get familiar with the language.

* Having a load of different Independent libraries that "do the same but not exactly the same" is simply bad practice.

Case and point: https://code.dlang.org/search?q=mysql

No official library, some are not supported, some are duplicates with minor changes, no official API or standard... can go on a long time.

If your idea is that people need to sift past the junk each time and hope that the library they pick is still supported in 5 years, your dead wrong. It does not work like that in any business environment. If you want a language to be adopted beyond hobbyist, you need to offer more then simply a language. Languages are a dime a dozen, well supported languages with a thriving eco-system that is a different market.

People seem to have it in their head that its a good thing to not have a lot of officially supported libraries. Well, from a business perspective it is simply not feasible to adopt a language, when it only offers, quote: "10% improvement", and the rest of the eco-system relies on those same (unpaid) people. People who one day can simply drop all support on packages.

or from Business Developer in Disguise. 'cause they always want someone to work for 'em for free.

I have no problem paying as do a lot of people but do you hand over your money to projects where to attitude does not align with yours? I put money in several projects only to see no good come from it. I learn from my business mistakes.

Do i need a language that keeps pushing more advanced features while introducing regressions all the time. Or do i prefer a stable language with official supported libraries that is easy to learn for new employees and has no baggage holding it back. Pick one ... and guess what gets a language adopted by us.

I noticed after reading topics how there is a very clear group of people, with a real motivation to maintain the status quo. They have found their language and use any excuse to not gain a mass market audience.

Community attitude is just as important as the language. As a language D may been gaining exposure but if you dislike new people coming here and pointing out major and minor issues, then that exposure is useless and will only reinforce a negative image for the language. No point in putting time feeding trolls, time is money after all.

Zhù nǐ hǎo yùn! Wish you luck!