On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 03:40:52 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
{snip} I suspect that part of it is that a lot of folks seem to come to D looking for the perfect language after having be frustrated by another language like C++, and while D is a lot closer to that for many folks than other languages are, it still has plenty of flaws, and we want those flaws fixed so that it can become the perfect language. Obviously, that's not going to happen. No language is perfect, but the vocal portion of the D community does have a tendency to want to push for everything that's arguably wrong with D to be fixed, and that can result in a lot of negativity, but it can also result in things getting fixed (though that requires actually doing something about it rather than just complaining).

I think what would help here is a D wiki page (maybe <https://wiki.dlang.org/Language_issues> could be expanded) that lists perceived flaws in the language, together with an explanation whether or not it's really considered a flaw, and if it is, why it's not being fixed. Those not-being-fixed reasons are the real crux of the issue, I think:

* If the reason is lack of manpower or expertise in the area, then complaints about the flaw can be responded with, "see [that wiki page], can you pitch in?".

* If the reason is that by fixing the issue it would cause problems {x}, {y}, and {z}, then the person raising the complaint learns something about language design.

* If the reason is the language design team's personal preference on the matter, and the tradeoffs are listed, then users learn what the tradeoffs are and have to live with it.

* If the reason for not fixing the issue is hesitation to break backward compatibility, then this may be an issue that D leadership wants to hear feedback on.

But I think pointing people to that wiki page and laying it out like that may diffuse a lot of arguments.