On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 21:12:16 UTC, David Gileadi wrote:
On 3/13/18 2:08 PM, aberba wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 17:20:57 UTC, Meta wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 12:39:24 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
[...]

Honestly I'd recommend TDPL. It's got a lot of good real-world examples, including some OOP ones, but more importantly examples that demonstrate concurrent programming, generic programming, procedural, and I think a few functional examples as well. Basically, it covers a very broad area in one book while also teaching you D.

Boring stuff IMO.

Interesting that you found it boring--I found it to be the opposite. It is one of the few programming books that I can read for enjoyment.

The D Programming Language (TDPL) is a big book so it will be boring. I used it whilst learning about the complete features of D (mostly just reading like story book though). So we all read just like you said:

It is one of the few programming books that I can read for enjoyment.

But its not one you would want to use for courses (short time).

Its different however, when you're using them to solve real-world problems that are actually real-world i.e. you justify why such feature needs to be used. Then its not boring. Quite often than not, such courses mostly bombard you with the theories.