On 8/24/18 5:12 PM, Meta wrote:
On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 17:12:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

I got bitten by this just yesterday.  Update dmd git master, update vibe.d git master, now my vibe.d project doesn't compile anymore due to some silly string.d error somewhere in one of vibe.d's dependencies. :-/

While we're airing grievances about code breakages, I hit this little gem the other day, and it annoyed me enough to complain about it: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5291#issuecomment-414196174

What really gets me is the actual removal of the symbol. If it had been left there with a deprecation message, I would've caught the problem immediately at the source and fixed it in a few minutes. Instead, I spent an hour or so tracing "execution" paths through a codebase that I'm unfamiliar with to figure out why a static if branch is no longer being taken.

According to this comment: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5291#issuecomment-360929553

There was no way to get a deprecation to work.

When we can't get a deprecation to work, we face a hard decision -- actually break code right away, print lots of crappy errors, or just leave the bug unfixed.

-Steve