The real deciding factor may be that listening to music is, and
always has been much cooler than reading books. That is not likely to
change.

The promise in the Kindle (or any similar portable display) is
finding some method of delivering books without the delay of the
publishing and print process. That is takes months to get a book
printed and distributed renders it much less instant and as a result
less relevant for all but the most in-depth studies and stories. Even
magazines pale in timeliness to online sources such as blogs and even
forums. I am not sure that knowledge and science are progressing at a
faster rate than ten years prior, but information dissemination
surely has. Last spring's MBA class on internet marketing is now sooo
out of date.

Mark