In some cases, I would recommend not going strictly alphabetical, because it
biases away from the majority of your users.

Our product's sign up page includes a popup for State, which includes US
protectorates like Guam.  Unfortunately, alphabetically, Federated States of
Micronesia precedes Florid, and Palau comes before Pennsylvania.  So users who
alphakey to their state end up with a big What The F---?

Do we have *any* users from Palau in our system?  Heck if I know, but I'll bet
it's way fewer than from Wilkes-Barre.  So by including this oddity
alphabetically in our list -- rather than somewhere else -- we serve the one
user from there and abuse the thousands from somewhere more common.

The same thing applies on a global basis.  If 90% of your projected users are
from English speaking countries, move them to the start of their letters of the
alphabet.  Make things easy for the huge bulk of users, maybe confusing for a
small number of them, and slightly worse for the tiny portion who don't get
true logical alphakeying (like the huge contingent from Uganda who are going to
be soooo angry that United States came up on the first U! [*]).

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."  Consistency is
great, but if there's a good reason to be inconsistent, go for it.

-- Jim Drew
   Seattle, WA

[*] - Apologies to anyone from Uganda.  Only an example, recommending for a
case where Ugandans are not anticipated to be a meaningful fraction of site
traffic.

Where you draw the line of what is significant enough to jog out of
consistency, I don't know.  Should Arizona come before Alaska, purely on
population grounds dictating likelihood of users?