Katie said: "Before we go haring off too far on the question of
whether the word "user" itself is misleading or derogatory or
whatever, I'd really like to pull your attention to the fact that my
issue with referring to "users" in this context is limited to ..."

All points well taken, Katie. My comment was meant in reference to
marketing to a population unused to any of the professional jargon.

That's an interesting point about connecting "user" to "other,"
too, even if it's been ridden to death before my time. Semantics can
be critically important to human and/or machine interactions.
"Client" and "customer" work well enough for me most of the time,
because my own perception of my role is not the creation of tools, but
the provision of services. Tools are by-products or conveyors of the
actual service I provide to clients. ("Clients" is also consistent
with the "server-side, client-side" imagery, too.)

OK, I'm done with that semantics exercise.