My best guess is to let them observe representative users use their
product. Stereotyping becomes a lot harder when you are thinking about
the real people you watched.

We've made watching usability test sessions a fun company event
(separate observation room through Morae)...we send out invites and
people attend as their schedule permits...just watching short sessions
with real people use our products has been an asset to our writers,
engineers, product people...everyone. After awhile of doing this, you'd
walk into people on the observation deck cheer the users on and talking
to the monitors ("come on...over there over there!") when the user was
close but not getting it...

When they watch someone who reminds them of their dad, grandmother, etc.
using THEIR product and having issues not because they are "stupid", but
because the product doesn't lend itself to the user's experience, some
real impetus to find solution to THE PRODUCT for <insert real human
being> evolves. People leave feeling bad for the guy that was one click
away from what he needed and had spent a couple minutes talking about in
the beginning.

You said you were after the folks opposite to "unsophisticated", so one
wonders if "give me testing budget for folks outside our target market"
will really fly, but perhaps grab the fence folks so you are at the edge
of your target market.