No - I agree that even while having read Shuen's book and understanding her
economic model around user generated value streams - I agree that at least
for facebook, they haven't found the model by which they can actually turn
that value into cash flow - clearly, at least DaveM has stated - there is
value to the members, and there is value in the network - but no business
model seems to have emmerged (Can business models simply emerge from a
primordial ooze?) Until a viable business model is conceived that can
transform the value of the network and generate positive cash flow - it
ain't really a business, or at least a viable one - and I think you are
right on when you state that it may have been a strategic decision for MS
(who can throw money away) to invest purely to block google - that actually
makes sense.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Jared Spool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:47 AM, Will Evans wrote:
>
>  Has anyone else read Amy Shuen's Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide and her
>> discussion about Facebook and the the monetization of user generated value
>> streams on social networks? For those interested - it does provide a good
>> understanding about exactly why MS payed what they did for Facebook.
>>

> I think Shuen's work is brilliant. However, all I see with the MS
> investment is a Google/Yahoo-acquisition blocker.
>
> Any attempts that Facebook has made to produce value beyond selling virtual
> gifts and poor-response CPM ads has been rebuffed by the users.
>
> I don't see how the value of the user relationships turns into capital for
> the business.
>
> It's possible I'm just dense about this and everyone else gets it. But to
> me, it feels a bit like the house of cards that's been holding up the
> mortgage biz for the past 6 years.
>

> Jared

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.128 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
aim: semanticwill | gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill