This is actually an issue I've been grappling with as it is deeply
relevant to our industry.

A lot of our work these days is done for companies basing their business
plans on social networking and community building sites. This may be a
small slice of the work available to IxD people, but it is a significant
bit.

Are we in fact nearing a watershed moment similar to the mortgage crisis
(that Jared so appropriately sited) in which a lot of people will just
wake up and go "wait, there's no huge value in this, what are we doing?"
and thereby pull the carpet out from under a significant part of the web?

Again, it gives me TulipMania worries: http://tinyurl.com/jo2l9